Photo Collage

Photo Collage

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The Cheesecake Factory

Disclaimer: This post is about why I've decided to take on a second job. Even though I don't owe anyone an explanation, I have had some questions as to why I am working another job as a new mother, and I have no problem explaining it. If you have questions beyond this, then you should probably just keep them to yourself.


A little before Christmas, Andrew and I started throwing around the idea of me taking on a part time serving job. This was my idea so we could bring in some extra money. With him already hitting over time each week and me now working from home, it seemed like the best way to make extra money. Since I now work from home, I'm with Hannah all day. This has afforded me extra time with her and I decided that working a few nights a week wouldn't take away too much from my time with her.

At 29 weeks pregnant I was diagnosed with gestational hypertension, which then turned into pre-eclampsia. Hannah was delivered via c-section at 35 weeks gestation. She spent 10 days in the NICU under the supervision of some really great doctors. Today she is a totally healthy, chunky, chubby-cheeked 5 month old. She is absolutely priceless. However, she did come with some medical bills. Despite having insurance (and yes, it was good insurance), we incurred co-pays, deductibles and high priced medical bills from twice weekly doctor visits, frequent blood draws, 3 trips to the maternity ward evaluation room, and Hannah's NICU stay. So on top of the costs of a new baby, we also racked up some lovely medical bills.

Rather than sit at home and worry about how to pay off bills, we decided that a serving job could easily make enough money to pay off the medical bills and save money for the future. And hey, what better place to serve than The Cheesecake Factory?! I already knew some people there and decided it would be my new home if they'd have me, which thankfully they did! I completed my training and am now on the floor serving glorious cheesecake and tasty food to the public. Yay!

Aside from taking the job for money, working from home and being with Hannah is fantastic, but it's a little lacking in the social interaction. I'm a people person and enjoy conversation, meeting new people and being on the go. In addition to the extra money, working for CCF has introduced me to new friends, a pretty good workout a few nights a week, and the social interaction I was desperately lacking. It's nice to get out of the house, be baby-free and work hard for a few hours then leave with some cash to show for it.

I considered going back to Outback, but after 7 years with the company it was time for a change. I make more money serving at Cheesecake than I did managing or bartending for Outback, so I'd say it was the right choice. Andrew and I work opposite schedules and play trade the baby, so we aren't really working together again, but it has given our relationship a cool bonus of being able to talk about work and really know who and what is being discussed.

I'm very happy with my new job and new coworkers, and the money coming in. Even though this post wasn't really necessary, a little clarification may be helpful. So come have some cheesecake!

No comments:

Post a Comment