Photo Collage

Photo Collage

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Hidden Baby Diaries #3

We are in double digits! 10 weeks and 5 days today. Last week we had an appointment to try to hear the heartbeat through a doppler radar. The doctor warned us that we were still early enough (1 day shy of 10 weeks) that we may not be able to find baby's heartbeat if s/he was hiding in a corner or if my uterus was tilted. After about 4 or 5 agonizing, nerve wracking minutes, we heard the sweetest sound. 172 per minute of fluttering, strong little heart beat. Magical. I looked at Andrew and his eyes got big and we just smiled at each other. I wish I'd thought to make a recording of it, but it all happened so quickly and I was concerned with hearing it, not recording it. Doc said everything sounded great. Success. Good job Baby Bear!! (Did I explain that part yet? Baby is lovingly referred to as Baby Bear since Andrew and I dressed as Mama and Papa Bear in the Christmas parade with Harlee aka Baby Bear).

All in all we were only in the doctors office for about 20 minutes. The beauty of an 8 am appointment, no women ahead of me to back things up! We decided to celebrate with breakfast at Waffle House. I can't eat as much in one sitting these days, but I still got the full spread of waffle, eggs, sausage, toast, hash browns. It was so good. I may not have been able to eat a lot of it, but I got a little bit of everything. I asked Andrew how he felt hearing the heart beat and he said it made things feel more real. I guess when you aren't fighting exhaustion, morning sickness, food aversions and more it's kind of easy to forget there's a baby growing nearby!

The last few days I've felt a lot better than I have over the last month. I'm really hoping this means my first trimester symptoms are starting to ease up. I thought I was in the clear last night after having 3 uneventful days. I was glad to feel good, but also a little nervous since I was feeling so good. Those pesky symptoms at least let me know baby is growing and things are moving along nicely. Well, my fears were unfounded because by 6:00 nausea had returned in full force while I was enjoying a lazy day. I'll take the good days as they come, but apparently I'm not out of the woods just yet.

We are two days away from being 11 weeks, and so so close to closing out this risky first trimester. We've decided to wait until about 13 weeks to tell extended family, and maybe even a bit longer to do a general announcement to facebook and the world. There are so many things that can go wrong, I kind of like keeping this one close to home for now. But as of now all the parents and siblings know. We've also spilled the beans to our best friends that acted as Best Man and Matron of Honor. They're so close to us that we needed to talk it out with a friend our own age, and it's kind of suspicious when I continue turning down drink after drink! I also had to let my boss and supervisor in on the secret to explain why I've been missing some mornings or looking generally hung over. Don't worry boss, I'm not out getting hammered every night!!

So that's the news for now. Even though things are going smoothly, I still feel like I'm holding my breath and just hoping and waiting to see that everything continues along a good track. Hang in there Baby Bear!! We love you already, despite the amount of nausea and moodiness you've brought me. Luckily Dad is a good sport :)

No comments:

Post a Comment