Photo Collage

Photo Collage

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Hidden Baby Diaries #4

Yesterday Andrew and I went to my 14 week appointment, one day shy of 14 weeks. I've read that there are different theories on when the 2nd trimester begins, with some saying 13 weeks, some 13.5 and some say 14. Well I went with 13 weeks, but apparently my doctor likes 14 weeks. Either way, I'm 14 weeks today, so by any standard we are in the 2nd trimester! Woohoo!! What a relief to be out of the most risky stage of the 1st trimester. Of course, nothing is a sure thing and tragedy can strike at any time, but for now we are all good. The doctor did an ultra sound and we got a few pictures, and it looks like everything is progressing as it should. Yay!


We also let the cat out of the bag last night, announcing the happy news on facebook after making sure most all immediate family members had been warned ahead of time. After 3 months of not telling anyone, it was really hard to tell the world our news. I was so nervous and vulnerable before posting the status that told. I know that vulnerability is nothing compared to what I will feel after baby is born, but still. I was holding those cards so close and tight to my chest I didn't want to let go. But once we got the all clear from the doctor it was time to share. Our parents have been itching to spread the news, so we couldn't deny them (or Andrew's want to stop being so secretive) much longer. Honestly, if it were solely up to me I probably would have waited longer, but the news is out and it's a relief not to have to explain away absences, not drinking, feeling sick and needing to be in bed by 10:00!!

When we were doing the ultra sound it was so cool to see baby moving and flipping and waving, but not being able to feel anything. So crazy. Apparently our baby is a mover and a shaker. S/he was stretching out, flipping over, doing a high step (Andrew said he was practicing for the Heisman). We got one pretty good profile shot where you can see baby hanging out, and a hint of what I think is Andrew's nose!
Doesn't look like a round nose to me, must be Andrew's!!
High steppin' it! Heisman in the making?
Apparently the Buddha belly is normal, so no worries :)

Heart rate was 152 bpm, perfectly perfect. We've got a few guesses on gender, but we won't find out for sure for another 4 weeks, and that's if Baby cooperates and gives us a good shot. Andrew thinks it's a girl. I think it's a boy. Most of the old wives tales and the Chinese Gender calendar say girl. We'll see if Mother's Instinct is correct or Daddy's is better!

We are so happy and excited, and now we can share it with the world. Yay Baby!!

No comments:

Post a Comment